My oldest daughter has been learning her multiplication facts this year and I thought I’d share some of the things we have been doing.
- We take it one number at a time. Starting with 0x0, 0x1, 0x2 until we get to 0x12. Then we move on to 1’s, 2’s, 3’s, and so on.
- Before memorizing facts I explained what multiplication was and showed her different ways to find the answers. I used this print out for help.
- I also show her any tricks. Such as anything times 1 is itself and anything times 0 is 0.
- When introducing the facts for the first time I have her write them down in a notebook that will be easy to keep up with. She will use this to study. Also she usually memorizes them once she has written them and visually seen them. I do not assist her in finding the answers because she has the tools to do so. I check them once she is finished and she studies them.
- When she is confident that she knows them I drill her with flash cards. Only using the ones she has already written and studied.
- Once she has gotten good with flash cards I will print out a worksheet to test her.
- I let her play online games to help practice.
She is currently learning her 9’s and then we will have 12’s. We didn’t really study 0’s, 1’s, 5’s, 10’s, or 11’s since they were so easy. Hope this helps some!